Options to Save Money

These tight economic times call for some creative budgeting.

Call around, search the web, and apply to as many services as you can. Here are some good places to help save a little money.


Bridges to Benefits: Learn about public work support projects and tax credits.

Child Care Financial Aid: Learn about tax credits, pre-tax child care dollars, tuition subsidies or scholarships.

Tax Help

Free tax help for income eligible familes: For a list of free tax preparation sites call United Way 2-1-1 or 651-291-0211, or enter "free tax preparation sites" in the search bar at www.taxes.state.mn.us.

Talk with your employer: Ask your employer about Dependent Care Assistance. You can set aside up to $5,000 tax free for child care expenses per year.

Specific Child Care Options

Contact Head Start at 651-582-8463.  Head Start is a federally funded program for children from families with lower incomes.

Some elementary schools offer a School Readiness Program. Contact your local school district.

Programming for children with special physical or developmental needs may be available through Early Childhood Special Education. Contact your local school district.