Licensing Requirements

Licensed Family Child Care Homes

Family Child Care professionals are licensed by the State of Minnesota in coordination with each county to provide care for children in a family child care home.  Family Child Care Professionals may care for infants through school-aged children. Training such as CPR, First Aid, and SUID/Abusive Head Truama is required for licensed family child care professionals.  These classes are offered regularly in the Develop.

Child Care Centers or Preschool

The state licenses child care centers and preschools to care for larger groups of children in a community center, place of worship or other facility. Centers may provide care for infants through school-age children.  Enrollment in preschools is usually limited to children 3 to 5 years old. Training for those who work at child care centers and preschools is required.  Child Care centers are licensed by the Minnesota Department of Human Services 651-296-3971

For more information on getting started in a career in child care, visit Child Care Aware of Minnesota.

Business development classes can be found on Develop

in Content Areas 4c and 6.

The Family Child Care Business Planning Guide by Tom Copeland can be purchased through Redleaf Press or borrowed through your local library.